Sunday, May 6, 2012

Weight Loss Myth #1

WLM #1: "Cardio Burns Fat Better and Faster than Resistance Training"  


FALSE.


As a Bootcamp Instructor, one of the most frustrating things I hear (more often than anyone could imagine) is:

"Can we do more Cardio?" "Why don't we do more Cardio?" "I was in another bootcamp and I lost a lot of weight because we did a lot of cardio." "I won't be coming back because I need more cardio." "How can I burn fat really fast; 2 hours of cardio per day?"


I try to explain to them how the body works; how calories are stored and burned, etc., but they are stuck in their false paradigm of cardio-worship and they simply ignore what I tell them.  They won't even research it.

Most women in my class want to lose weight.  For most of them, they live and die for cardio to achieve this goal.  However, they have been trying to do so for years and years ... but they still have not reached their weightloss goals.  They have great lung capacity and strong hearts ... but they have too much body fat.


The fascinating (and frustrating) thing is ... after failure upon failure, they refuse to change their approach.  Instead, they change gyms; trainers; bootcamps. etc.  But they don't change 'themselves' ... because they know more than all of the trainers they've dealt with ;)

I mean; P90X is the most popular at-home fitness program in the world, and only 3 out of 12 discs are cardio based (Plyometrics, Kenpo X, Cardio X). All other 9 discs are resistance.

But what does Tony Horton know?  


But I digress:

Sometimes we have to hear things from other people before we accept them.  So, I have created this post (and it is required viewing from now on) of several people, explaining why the Cardio=Fat loss belief is false.



Key Points @ 1:29; 2:09; 3:10; 3:35; 5:25; 6:15


Key Points @ The whole video.


Key Points @ 0:45; 1:35; 2:30; 3;15


Key Points @ 0:12; 0:58; 1:35; 1:58; 2:39


Key Points @ 0:12; 0:45; 1:40


Key Points @ 0:45; The whole video


Key Points @ The whole video.

1 comment:

  1. Great article! Reminded me when I get back to Atlanta, I have to switch my exercise routine to weights again :)

    ReplyDelete